Trinh Cong Son Scholarship
Every scholarship program will be specifically designed for each recipient to fit individual talent and development.
Additionally, depending on the circumstances of each student, a relocation package will also be considered.
- Music Curriculum
- Performing Arts Curriculum
- English Program
- Academic Program (Kindergarten – Year 12/ University)
- Personality and Core-value building, developing recipients to become model citizens for Vietnam
- Upper limit of 18 years
- Minimum: 1 year.
- After the initial one (01) year, the Board of Advisors will decide whether the scholarship holder will continue to receive an extension of the program, as well as length of extension.
- Further overseas study can also be considered.
Procedures & Process
- 1st Round: RESUME APPLICATION
Begin accepting Applications: September every year.
Closing Date of Applications: January / February every year.
- Academic resume & transcripts of minimum two (02) consecutive years
- Copies of certificates accomplished in music and the performing arts
- Three (03) letters of recommendation
- A video with individual music performance: Performance can be Vocal or Instrumental
- A video responding to the following questions:
Why do you believe you should be awarded the Trinh Cong Son Scholarship?
What do you believe are your responsibilities if you were to become a Trinh Cong Son Scholarship recipient?
- 2nd Round: LIVE INTERVIEW & AUDITION AND TEST
- Shortlist of applicants will be invited to the 2nd Round Auditions, taking place in March/ April.
- Live interview and audition will be held at SMPAA. All interviews and auditions are evaluated by the Board of Advisors.
- Candidates will be examined to test Sight Reading, Technical Capabilities and Improvisation Skills in their respective instrument/ voice.
- 3rd Round: COMPETITION
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the 3rd Round Auditions within a month after the 2nd Round. In this time, candidates will be given specific pieces to prepare for the competition. The competition will take place in May/ June. In this round, candidate’s families will also be invited to an individual meeting session with the Board of Advisors.
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Final list of winners will be announced in July, and will commence official entry procedures.
SMPAA is officially aligned with the Trinity College London Examination Board (TCL), and The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) and the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD) to provide international music/ performing arts qualifications and certifications, which will assist students to be recognized throughout the world. The program offers students a wide range of music courses including Vocal, Piano, Guitar, Violin, Drums and other instruments. It also gives students flexibility in choosing styles in either Classical & Jazz or Rock & Pop genres.
Students will receive the fees for a full school package to ensure their academic progress at their current age/ grade level.
In addition, students will attend English training programs throughout the scholarship duration. This will assist students to enhance their language competency and facilitate them to acquire international music knowledge. At the end of the scholarship program, students will undertake an IELTS Certificate examination.
The program also requires students to explore international interaction by sending students to outreach training courses to music institutes locally and internationally or by participating in workshops held at SMPAA.
REQUIRED OUTCOME OF THE PROGRAM
The structure of the program includes four compulsory modules – Practical, Theoretical, English and Performing Arts. Following this structure, students will gain the highest TCL, ABRSM, ISTD and IELTS certificates as outcomes from their studies.
The academic program will be based on the student’s age and grade level. Students are expected to fulfill all of the grade expectations at a high level.
With the goal of preparing scholars for success in their professional careers, they will not only be certified to an international standard in their chosen major but they will also develop holistically through their practical experiences in performance. Throughout the program, SMPAA will prepare its scholars to be able to enter into top international universities such as Berklee College of Music or The Juilliard School.
Each program will be specifically tailored to the scholar’s unique talent, but there will be a strong focus for all students to attend local and international music competitions as representatives for Vietnam – this will allow students to gain invaluable experience and build their personal profiles to be able to gain access to the professional and international music world.
The Trinh Cong Son Scholarship is awarded based upon audition/ performance results, financial needs, and other special circumstances. The most important criterion is the student’s talent/ ability. There is a maximum number of 10 scholarships per annum to be awarded.
We encourage families to provide whatever supplemental information they feel is important to give the Board of Advisors the clearest picture of their financial circumstances, which will enable us to develop an appropriate awards package.